Plugin unable to migrate from WP 5

This plugin supports WordPress versions 4.9.0 to 4.9.8 (and some newer development versions).
You are running WordPress version 5.0-RC1-43944 .

Why not?

Two reasons:

1. WordPress 5 is a moving target - they were still adding features in beta 5

2. Time. RC1 has been out all of a couple of days over the Thanksgiving weekend

We will support migrating from WordPress 5, but not until weā€™ve properly tested the process.

4 Likes

I guess I donā€™t get it. I can do it manually by simply replacing the non wp-content files. I donā€™t care what version Iā€™m replacing as Iā€™m deleting it anyway. I assumed the plugin just did that also.

The plugin has to ensure a safe and smooth migration. To do so, and ensure that we arenā€™t going to break someones site, we need to test it before we support it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes I was trying to test it ā€¦

My guess is, if the Classic Editor plugin is activated, a migration is still good to go.

Although I have to admit that more than often a combination of WP nightly + Classic Editor + Gutenberg plugin has turned sour, ie. suddenly no editing was possible anymore, half the admin interface was just not working (one could click on ā€œeditā€ this or that page, but no matter where you were, front or backend, the editor either didnt work or the ā€œeditā€ links as such broke / threw fatal errors).

cu, w0lf.

No if it fails the preflight it aborts the process.

You would have to manually add support for it in the code:

Then you should be all good to proceed, we donā€™t guarantee it will work or wonā€™t break anything though :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hm ā€¦ if we added filter hooks to this, ie.

$wp_version_min = apply_filters( 'cp_migration_plugin_min_version', '4.9.0' );
$wp_version_max = apply_filters( 'cp_migration_plugin_max_version', '4.9.8' );

Then one could do this by themselves, eg. by creating an additional, ultra-simple plugin, eg. ā€œWP 5.0 to CP migration add-on (EXPERIMENTAL)ā€ ā€¦ which just would consist of the plugin comment block, and one class, which would hook eg into ā€˜plugins_loadedā€™, and then add a filter to increase the max version.

cu, w0lf.

ps: yes, functions.php might work, too, but is probably not the safest and most reliable way ā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok changed max version to 6.9.8 and it passed. I see that the plugin does not remove the orphaned files though. I think this is true when doing a WP update as well.

Iā€™ve used this plugin in the past.

Perhaps it could be incorporated into a future release.

Otherwise everything went smoothly on your WP release?

If so, that is good news :slight_smile:

Yes nothing broke that Iā€™ve found. WordFence had a hissy fit over file changes and that led me to see that the new WP 5 wp-includes/block.php file was still there. It would have been the same result with the WP 5 install so nothing to do there. Frankly I never put much value in WordFenceā€™s file scan of core files as the biggest vulnerability has always been plugins.

So Iā€™d like to suggest that the migration plugin warns users of a preflight error but allows them to continue anyway. You know the drill ā€¦ā€œundesirable outcomes might ensue but if you still want to try it type ā€˜Upgradeā€™ in the text box.ā€ :slight_smile:

This is a known issue you can read more about WordFence here.

Otherwise, we will look into allowing it anyways. Although that is probably a question for @james :slight_smile:

Thanks for testing with that though!

Migrating from WP 5.0 to ClassicPress is definitely something we plan to support. We are tracking this issue here:

Please make sure let Wordfence know you want them to support ClassicPress - either via their premium support if youā€™re a customer, or their WordPress support forum if youā€™re on the free version

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.