Rework all settings pages to isolate each setting field as a stack of actions

With the current design of the settings pages in WordPress, plugins have a very hard time customizing the settings interface, as most panels have only a few specific places where custom code can be inserted via action.

To make this much easier to deal with, the built in settings pages should be reimplemented as a stack of render functions attached to individual actions per section.

These sections should also be attached by actions, so that any plugin can replace or augment a setting on a case by case basis, by simply adding new render functions to the same action, or by replacing the existing render function.

Read-only archive: Issues · ClassicPress/ClassicPress · GitHub

Author: Greg Schoppe

Vote count: 7

Comments

@alvarofranz @timkaye you two participated in the custom fields API discussion. This is related, but different petition. Any thoughts on this?

I would leave it as is. The settings API is documented in a million places online and it’s actually not that bad.

If we change it, it may confuse devs with something that is not a huge improvement.

Also, compared to other things, this has very low priority in my opinion, there are no resources to get this done now, with many more important things on the list.

I would not just close it though, because it still is a good idea.

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.