White screen of death when I'm trying to make a new post

If your console is showing the error about the skin map, it’s definitely in there; it’s at the very end of the minified file. Anyway, it’s not critical to anything and the site will still operate fine with or without that line. I only mentioned it as you’d pointed it out. However, no, this won’t fix a whitescreen. As James mentioned, a whitescreen points to a PHP error. Most likely, it’s caused by a plugin or, possibly, even your theme.

The reference to skin.min.css.map was removed from skin.min.css a while back. See ClassicPress/src/wp-includes/js/tinymce/skins/lightgray/skin.min.css at b8e69651c03d019fc8de790499341c7db8469dd7 · ClassicPress/ClassicPress · GitHub

I don’t doubt what you say but I had the same theme with the same plugin and the same code until last night.
Why it appeared this problem just now?
And why after I tried to change a permalink and why after the CP upgraded to the newest release?

The matter is not only to resolve the problem but to figure out what caused it in order to avoid it in the future.

Tim I’m going to login into the website to see if it will work.
Log out please if you are in there.

I have no idea. It could be some random error; it could be a poorly-coded plugin in an endless loop and your host killed the script from running; it could be a hacked site. Without seeing it directly, I have zero chance of diagnosing it. What you should do is clone the site down to a local server and turn on (onscreen) error reporting (or you could install the PHP Error Log Viewer on the local site); you’ll probably immediately see what went wrong.

Yes, I’m aware of that… however the map was in my skin.min.css file just yesterday on a localhost. It was showing in the console, same as the OP’s console is showing. I did another re-install (just now) and it’s not there. Weird. The site was already on 1.2.0 (several times over via the Re-Install Now button). Anyway, I’ve got nothing helpful to add and will use this opportunity to exit stage left.

EDIT: Confirming that the map I removed yesterday was on an old installation, not a v 1.2.0 site.

All releases of ClassicPress can be found here (use either one of these links):

The download link for the previous release is currently: https://github.com/ClassicPress/ClassicPress-release/archive/1.1.4.zip

You can install this manually or you can use the migration plugin to do it for you. You can get the migration plugin by going to How to Install ClassicPress CMS | Download ClassicPress and clicking the “Switch to ClassicPress” button. Install and activate it, go to Tools > Switch to ClassicPress in the dashboard, and paste that zipfile link ( https://github.com/ClassicPress/ClassicPress-release/archive/1.1.4.zip ) into the “Advanced controls” section.

I doubt this will resolve the issue though, I think Tim’s line of investigation is more likely to help.

It sounds to me like a character set / encoding issue which happens to be triggered by some of the textual content of this specific post (I am guessing it’s not in English and it’s using some special characters that your hosting server is failing to interpret correctly).

This is another possibility that might explain an issue like this, but so far in this thread I’m seeing more signs pointing to a character set issue - for example the browser message that says “The character encoding of the HTML document was not declared”.

I’m not sure… CP core should be trying to handle this correctly despite the server configuration. Most sites have the blog_charset option set to UTF-8 and the database content type (for the connection and for each data field) set to utf8mb4 which should work with just about anything under the sun.

Whatever this is, I’d be interested to know what is going on also. It sounds like a broken server configuration but WP/CP are usually pretty good at dealing with those.

Finally one more thing - when posting code snippets on the forums, surround them by three backquotes so that they will be formatted correctly. Like this:

```
(code goes here)
```

I’m hoping this is sorted now but waiting for @Marialena.S to confirm. Bit of a bizarre problem, one that I couldn’t replicate at first. Even then, the only error I saw was the 406 error. I did not get a white screen at any point (FF in Linux & Windows plus Edge).

Very long story short, PHP config was fine but I think there were a few mostly minorish issues which combined to make a bigger problem.

4 Likes

Wow, you performed a whole maintenance package. :crazy_face:

6 Likes

I’m back to give my report on the matter.

The white screen appeared every single time I tried to post the first part of the article.
The article was written in English and was copied on the website’s editor in plain text. But it triggered the 406 error on all browsers. On my Iron and Pale Moon and on Tim’s browsers, whatever browsers he used.
Finally I had to type the whole post -1720 words- on the editor in order to be able to publish it.

I think that the problem is related with the way the Tiny editor interprets the encoding of each text. It shouldn’t have been an issue with the different characters. If for one thing I write in two languages, and some others might write in more than two languages.

Here are some more information that might help you to figure out what is the problem.
The initial article was published in one part. The author of the article asked to be in two parts. I edited the original post , I removed the part that was supposed to be in a second post and tried to edit the permalink too , becuase I had changed the title.

That was the moment that the problem occured.

I didn’t actually copied something on the already published article. I removed some text and I tried to edit the permalink.
It crashed and then I couldn’t post anything else from this article though I could publish an other post that I lost after I updated the database.

We figured out that something was wrong with the way that the editor interprets the encoding, only when I managed to publish a post with Lorem Ipsum sample text that I had copied from a website to a text file. That worked just fine, but the text of the article that I copied from a .doc file into a .txt file ( on linux editor) didn’t.

So I would suggest to check out the following:

1. what is the connection between the attempt to edit the permalink and the crash of the already published article. I didn’t add anything there in the first place. I just removed some text.

2. Why there is a 406 error with some kind of encoding. And why with English utf -8 plain text encoding after all of this particular article. Keep in mind that I made several different .txt. files of the same text, in order to make sure that there wasn’t any kind of code on the text and that I read the checked the text of this part of the article for any strange characters. I even checked the text that I copied on the Tiny editor in the text mode of the editor to make sure that it didn’t have anything there other than the plain text.

If there is problem with some of the different character what will happen if someone wants to write in other than English language?

@anon71687268 And here is another thing. The Enriched Editor doesn’t want to save the settings. I rearranged its bar on the plugin’s settings but the changes were not visible when I wrote or edited a post. The WYSIWYG Advanced had no problem though.
I installed the Enriched Editor from git hub after Tim told me that you had abandoned the development of the other plugin.

And excuse me now, but how I was supposed to know that you made another plugin? When Tim told me that there was another plugin available earlier today I had almost a mini stroke because I thought that it was the plugin that caused the problem. lol

Anyway… Tim is still trying to optimize the website and I’m grateful for that but I want to thank you all for your support. You are a great Team and CP is the best! :heart_eyes:

PLEASE DON’T MARK THIS THREAD AS SOLVED BECAUSE WE HAVEN’T TESTED YET IF IT IS STABLE.
I might managed to post this damn article but I don’t know what is going to happen if I try to post something in Greek.

2 Likes

WYSIWYG Advanced wasn’t abandoned… it was renamed to Enriched Editor. So, you installed from GitHub… If you clicked the green “code” button and installed the zip file, uninstall it. You need to install the actual release version.

https://codepotent.com/classicpress/plugins/enriched-editor/

1 Like

Same thing. It doesn’t save the settings. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was able to confirm the issue and have released Enriched Editor 1.0.1. The update will be showing in dashboards shortly.

It was discovered that the button settings were saved (on the backend), but, were not applied in the correct contexts (in the editors); this meant your customizations were not applied appropriately. The new version corrects this issue. Your customizations will be preserved through the update. Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for the assistance in solving this issue. :+1:

Also, I forgot to reply to your comment about “how were you supposed to know about a new plugin” … and the answer is: there really was no (good/easy) way to know. This is why I’ve been working on getting all my plugins integrated with the Update Manager – to avoid this as an ongoing an issue. The WYSIWYG Advanced plugin did not have the update functionality…the Enriched Editor plugin does…so, going forward, you’ll be made aware of new versions right in your dashboard. :slight_smile:

PS. Just to confirm… this wasn’t a WSOD type of error. :wink:

1 Like

Just to add to this, I’ve never experienced a WSOD in any browser - FF, Chrome, Edge and Pale Moon while carrying out tests directly on Marialena’s website. I did initially get the 406 error but that ceased as soon as I tweaked modsec. I’ve always been able to publish posts without difficulty, despite the 406 error.

I took a good look at the plain text that Marialena refers to. It looks absolutely normal. I opened it in several different text editors (e.g. atom, nano, gedit, notepad++) and there’s was nothing unusual. No strange characters. It was UTF-8 encoded with LF line endings (though I also tried CRLF).

After copying and pasting into the CP editor, all was well at first. But, after adding a title and then clicking back into the editor, the 406 error appeared. Other than that, no other issues were apparent and I was able to publish the post normally. This only happened with this particular text. Copying and pasting a load of Lorem Ipsem stuff of roughly the same length did not produce an error. However, as I say, the 406 error has stopped (for me at least) since I tweaked modsec.

Just to put the record straight, that’s not quite what I said :slight_smile: What I did say is:

Codepotent’s WYSIWYG Advanced plugin you have installed is quite an early version and it’s been replaced with the Enriched Editor now. You might want to ask him about replacing the old one with the new one.

If that gave the impression that @anon71687268 had abandoned WYSIWYG Advanced, that was certainly not my intention but, nevertheless, I apologise for any misunderstanding.

Sometimes, I wish I was a hedgehog. :wink:

3 Likes

Ok… don’t take it so personally. English is not my first language.

What I understood from the “it’s been replaced with the Enriched Editor now” is that he abandoned the first one to develop another. It has a different name after all.

I probably lost it in the translation. Sorry. :slight_smile:

Regarding the WSOD…
This appeared as I wrote before when I tried to edit the permalink. I didn’t add any of the “problematic” text in the already existent first post. I removed half of the text, edited the titled and tried to edit the permalink too that takes the name of the title.
The same text was there that I had copied it from the .doc. to the .txt file and then on the Tiny Editor.

How are these two connected? Why the attempto to change the permalink affected the way that the editor interprets the text?

It doesn’t make sense but that was what actually triggered the WSOD.

1 Like

I’m going to install it. Thanks… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

ETA: I don’t have to reinstall it. It got the update!

1 Like

I knew “abandoned” wasn’t your word choice. No worries.

3 Likes

Great!

By the way, “ETA” stands for estimated time of arrival…like, if I was coming to your house and you texted me, “What’s your ETA?” to find out when I’d be there.

I think you meant “UPDATE” here. :slight_smile:

Can you confirm that the Enriched Editor update fixed the issue you were seeing?

ETA means Edit to Add.

Yes it fixed the problem and I fixed my article that you can see it in two parts in my blog here: https://www.marialenasarris.com/blog-2/

Not that the subject is going to interest you that much if you don’t paint but anyway. This article is written by Andre Jute who is an author and he is also a painter and he tested the paper and published the review on my website.
If for one thing he writes better in English that I do … lol

2 Likes

I didn’t understand it right. Don’t make it a matter because I have an issue with how well I understand and write in English and I’m feeling now very bad that I didn’t understand well what Tim meant.

I was tired and I’ve lost it in the translation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Let’s go back to the subject please.
Has anyone figured out what is the relation between the edited permalink and the wsod whenever I tried to post the first part of the article on the Tiny Editor?

That is what I desperately want to know. :question: :question: :question: :question: