Why do you use ClassicPress instead of WordPress?

Because it’s fast, because it’s easy to use, because it’s the CMS I love, and WordPress has disappointed me by installing that dreadful Gutenberg!

5 Likes

Not only I work with WordPress and ClassicPress daily. I might as well support both because is fun and enjoyable. I do this for fun and not something I do for money.

6 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: ClassicPress and WordPress

A post was split to a new topic: Code rejection

I disagree that my post was moved. It was about CP vs. WP and belongs here.

In short, for me, if ClassicPress never moves beyond being WordPress without the block editor then it was what I was looking for. I am not unhappy with WP, but should the day arrive when use of the classic editor is no longer possible, then I would be in a spot, since I do not like green eggs and ham. That is my basic logic for starting to test and use CP.

With regard to themes and plugins, through the years I have considered submitting some of my projects using official channels, but always decided against it. I understand the standards and security issues for sure, but in some ways the stuff I made for myself but would have liked to offer did not follow all those standards. Since I do this for fun / as a hobby, I did not feel that changing them away from what I wanted and all the other baggage that can go along with an official add on was a good fit for me.

3 Likes

Hello all,
i speak in english but is not my native language(i am french). sorry for uggly words ))
first thanks you for classicpress.
long year ago that have not used wordpress the old version was fine.
two days ago i installed wordpress to build a project about insulin calculator ,but it was not the same wordpress than i met before: uggly block editor and no way to disable it without break lot of things, problems with old plugins and others.
if i well understood ,wordpress developper do not want listen community and they took they owns choices by force.

i want help : i am not a developper but if you need someone for translation (english to french),or others things ,it will be a pleasure to help.

have a good day. and thanks for this fork.

4 Likes

@participants

Thank you all for sharing why you’re using ClassicPress. If you have a moment, consider leaving a review for ClassicPress on G2 to help others find and use it:
https://www.g2.com/products/classicpress/reviews

I’ve submitted a review.

Your review has been successfully submitted and is in queue for evaluation by our moderation team.

If it doesn’t show up, let me know and I’ll search for an email from them. I get so much spam to the email I share with platforms (except this one - I trust you guys) that I miss a lot in there.

1 Like

Thank you, Gail. I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review :pray:

1 Like

I’m happy to assist wherever I can. (But I’m not a developer, sorry.) And I shared my email I only give to clients with CP (and nowhere else). So I should see it if you email me.

1 Like

I use ClassicPress for three reasons. The first is curious. I like to try new things and ClassicPress is relatively new to me.
The second reason is that I dislike how heavy and clumsy Wordpress has become. We went from being able to write a quick blog post to having plenty of bloat. I also like that it’s PHP, which brings me on to my third reason.
I have an intense dislike to anything to do with facebook, including react. I feel that by moving to React all websites now look the same. That’s why php, css, Vue and other tools become more interesting.
I have spent time studying Ruby, JavaScript, Python, CSS and more but so far I find that PHP is the most intuitive to use, because if you make a mistake the error will tell you what to fix, without having to figure out abstractions.
I know that people dumped WordPress because of blocks, but for me, it’s React.

As an aside I was experimenting with WordPress and ClassicPress in parallel and found that ClassicPress 2.0 plays more nicely with Mastodon than WordPress, at least with “featured” images. (This might change as I am still experimenting)

When I am convinced that ClassicPress and the Fediverse play well together, I will migrate my blog to ClassicPress from WordPress. I see the Fediverse as the future of online community. Recently I got a taste of the power of having a blog integrated to the Fediverse, and now I’m hooked.

5 Likes

I use ClassicPress for two reasons :slight_smile:

a. It’s what I am comfortable with - rather than spending too much time with plugins, customization, “look and feel” of the site (which I have done enough of in the past), I was looking for simplicity - many of my posts are LONG (@ 3000 words or more), my aim was to concentrate on the content, and not the bells and whistles.

b. Backstory- how I discovered ClassicPress - in a WP forum on FB, there were the usual ‘afiliate bombers’ for some WP providers- I thought the rates were very high, given the “upsell” that WP is resource heavy, and therefore everyone requires a rocketship to run their WP site. I am a big believer in frugality - and began looking for “alternatives to WordPress”. Experimenting with several CMS’s later, I discovered ClassicPress (this was around 2019, version 1.2 or 1.3… ) It had its limitations, but it did the job well.

I even wrote a long post on “How to host your blog for under 10 US dollars a year” (later changed to under 5 US dollars a year) - ClassicPress was the obvious choice for tinkering around.

Fast forward 2023, when I launched my new blog (notes. amarvyas.in, for those interested) - my first CMS of choice was a non - WP, flat file cms… Budit. I like that CMS, but found too many compatibility issues with my workflow. Formatting was a big headache. Enter ClassicPress.

Is it perfect? No. It is for everyone ? Probably not. Does it work as intended without too much hand-holding? Yes.

(I might post a variation of the above on G2 in the coming days).

-An experimenter, an explorer, and a tinkerer’s view of ClassicPress.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing @avyas. Your blog looks great! I’m happy to see ClassicPress fits your needs and was able to deliver a better content management experience. I saw you like to use markdown, if you haven’t seen yet we do have two markdown plugins Markdown and there’s also peendev-markdown, which uses EasyMDE Markdown editor.

Many thanks for the feedback and the information on the Markdown plugins- they are absolutely fantastic!
Makes my writing workflow much more streamlined.

Best regards,

2 Likes

A picture is worth 1000 words.

8 Likes

Hi everyone!

ClassicPress had been in my backpocket as an option for awhile now-- out of all the blogging alternatives I’ve tried, I wanted to stay in the WP/CP ecosystem. I thought to myself, “if I ever get really fed up with WordPress’ practices (read: enshittification) , I have something to fall back on.”

I hated the block system when it was first implemented. I got used to it, eventually, but I never liked it. I tolerated it. And I really didn’t like how simple customization was now behind a paywall, because Blocks.

After the leak of Attomatic planning to sell content to train AI models, I finally stopped waffling and made the plunge. Before I knew it, I had ClassicPress installed, patches updated, my site migrated, and I’m getting pretty cozy.

I’m enjoying my experience, so far! Not only it’s a CMS I’m familiar with, but it’s one I’ve missed.

EDIT: Pardon the dust; it’s currently up but I’m still shuffling around: Raintree Ruckus

8 Likes

Now that V2 is finally here I’ve moved my live site to it - I’d been running CP on my development machine for a while making sure my homebrewed plugin worked properly with it - but finally took the plunge. I might be imagining things but it seems to be faster than WP 6.4

6 Likes

I have around 10 sites running 1.7 or higher. Two of them are client commercial sites and the page load time they are impressed with the most. I have 6 to promote CP themes: http://classicpress-themes.com is one but not my favorite. I like the one for https://melody.tradesnet.us/ uses Melody theme for CP.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Testing ClassicPress

CP is notably faster than WP in every way. WP tends to load block related CSS into every page and greatly affect performance. CP on the other hand is great, no bloat.

My production site doesn’t use CP right now (Sorry!), partly due to my own theme doesn’t support classic widgets right now, and would require block CSSes for a basic styling. But I will move all my sites to CP eventually :smiley:

I was surprised that CP supports SQLite Intergration BTW.

1 Like