WordPress plugins you use on ClassicPress websites, that need a ClassicPress replacement

What are the WordPress plugins you use on your ClassicPress websites, which aren’t available yet as actual ClassicPress plugins?

Knowing this will help us plugin authors creating software for which there is an actual demand.
Please include existing plugin name or link and also what you’d be willing to pay for, if so.

It’s ok to include plugin ideas you’d like to see that don’t exist yet.
Please keep the comments short and to the point, similar to this format:

[Plugin Name] (link)
Willing to pay XY amount/Should be free of charge
Eventual necessary specification of what the plugin should do, if not clear already by its name/link

If you see a plugin posted already you can also just react with a :heart: to the relevant comment.

There is a list of plugins we already know are required a lot by users.
Thus you may just vote on below poll to add your “I need this”
Still it might be useful to comment if you are willing to pay for it and if so how much

What Plugins I Desperately need
  • Something like Toolset
  • Something like Gravity Forms
  • Role/access management plugin
  • Migration Plugin
  • Backup Plugin
  • Email Plugin (SMTP)
  • Integration with PayPal
  • Integration with Stripe
  • Regenerate Thumbnails
  • Remote management
  • Reviews
  • Ads / Adsense / monetization
  • Mailchimp
  • Rich snippets
  • Events calendar
  • Learning Management System
  • Photo management system
  • Spam Protection
  • Searches and Filters
  • Sliders

0 voters

*Note, polls can only have 20 or less options, thus I couldn’t include all but made sure to include those we do not really have replacements for at the moment AFAIK

1 Like

Accept Stripe Payments

1 Like

Does this help?
https://directory.classicpress.net/plugins/woocommerce-stripe-payment-gateway
If not, what is the missing feature?
Perhaps the Developer can add it (I am not sure how it is, links to WebToffee instead of the directory profile as required by plugin submission guidelines.) @azurecurve you might want to look into that? The Dev profile of said developer also does not link back to this forum (user profile) as it should be, so we can enter in contact and know who it is)

1 Like

If you haven’t seen it, a similar effort was done a while ago. Might be a good list to check out:

3 Likes

That post is the source for our problems. Check what it does: add green checks on all plugin suggestions but 99% are “works with”, not “developed for”
(Despite the definition of its green check to be “A solid option that should be good for the long term. Either built for ClassicPress or the plugin developer has made a definite commitment to maintain CP compatibility.”. Clearly, it did not follow that rule when adding green checks. Divi for example is not made for, nor committed to CP, and many others neither)

IMO that post should be trashed :slight_smile:

It drives users to do exactly what they should not do: install WP plugins. But the list is indeed useful, I perhaps should have used it to create a poll instead with “willing to pay for”
Too late :slight_smile:

1 Like

That one integrates with WooCommerce (and currently also works with Classic Commerce).

I mean one that embeds onto any page to allow payments eg
https://simplycomputing.com.au/payments/

Click on “Make payment”.

3 Likes

That’s a list of “must have” plugins based on user suggestions. If you ignore the actual plugin, it’s a list of plugins CP should have that users need. For example, forms plugins. Something we don’t really have but need.

Also, there are plugins that officially support ClassicPress. We can’t ignore these. Security plugins, for example.

1 Like

Not ignoring those. But I want a list of plugins that users want, do not have, and are eventually also willing to pay for
That list is as said useful, but not really giving any information about these details
Let’s keep discussions on PM or another thread, so we can actually have a clear list here of things that users want.
As said, the list is very useful, but “fogs” the actual requirements with lots of “works with”, which is not what we want users to do
If they use because “works with” no incentive is created to actually code our own solutions.

Hope that makes sense :wink:

There are 61 replies on that thread from users. So do check those, most of those are user suggestions/requests. I would hate to overlook all those requests. My last reply on this.

1 Like

I understand you came a little late to this party so it might help to fill you in on a little history.

In the early days a lot of people contacted plugin developers to ask them if they would consider supporting CP as well as WP. The responses varied from “No way!” through tentative, conditional support (as long as it didn’t mean too much work) to firm, solid commitments from wonderful people like Shield and Beaver Builder.

There were also a good number of people making comments like “I’d be happy to switch to CP but I really need to have a plugin that does xxxxxxx”.

I set up the must-have plugins list to keep track of (a) who was “on-side” and (b) what broad categories of plugins we had covered (that is what the green tick is meant to show). It is a wiki so can be edited by anyone, and, yes, it is a little out of date. The idea was to have a central list so if people wanted a page builder, or a contact form, or a caching plugin, they could go to it and see the options.

5 Likes

I’ve made my choices in the poll. I desperately need a membership plugin and integration with PayPal. Ads would also be nice. However, I can’t comment yet on how much I’m willing to pay for them, because my online efforts are not yet paying for themselves. Right now, most of my website expenses are still coming from my own pocket, and it isn’t deep.

2 Likes

Form builder plugin would be nice to have. Basic free version and a more advanced pro version or instead of pro version, charge for add-ons to add functionality to the main free plugin.

Any developers that might want to tackle this, look at Caldera Forms. They are shutting down, so it could be a good forms plugin to fork.

1 Like

There is already an SMTP plugin.

4 Likes

Fluent Forms developers told me they expect to support CP for quite some time, and FF (free and pro) is about 1000x better than Caldera.

3 Likes

Agreed about FF vs Caldera!

The problem with this is, as with so many other plugins, that it doesn’t really declare compatibility with classicpress

(Note: I’m not sure this is the plugin you actually mean. Please correct me if I’m wrong)

It also includes blocks
Which means it uses functions available only in wp 5.0 above, js scripts not available in cp, and even if it smartly loads things only when needed or available it means you probably will have enqueue “blocks” scripts from the plugin in the front end, and even if all this is carefully orchestrated within the plugin it does encourage people to use it, while the developer didn’t make an official commitment. There isn’t even a trello entry on the roadmap to request said ongoing compatibility or plans to keep it.

So the only information our new user has when he comes to cp and sees this or other posts is “it works/they told me it’ll continue work for a while”

That is not how we will produce a reliable environment for classicpress users
We are putting the users de facto at risk with this.

Just as an example, a very very important and flagship-instance of cp is actually running wp5+ plugins.
Unsafe, openly disclosed vulnerable plugins. Why? Because accidentally that plugin in question is not stating wp4.x compatibility in its read me file and this no update was even shown on the admin side of said website.

Another user here in cp was running compatible plugins who then updated version requirement thru a bug fix. Bad practice? Yes. Will it happen again? Certainly.

I really think we have to stop this “it’ll work for a while” approach.
Either the plugin declares intent to supoort cp ( thru an actual tag or by putting it on our directory) or it should be considered a suboptimal solution if not even a no go area.

I for once Intend to run my sites for as long I can, not for as long as plugin xy decides to maybe keep compatible with cp. building my new sites with a plugin that I don’t know for sure it’s for cp, is a bad decision IMO.

While this is just my opinion, and I do understand what it takes to develop new plugins for 20 users who aren’t willing to pay for it, it’s the only way how we can safely and professionally approach this issue. Correct me if I’m wrong. I’d be more than happy to change this but I don’t think it’s possible in a justifiable and secure way.

Toolset also once said they’ll support wp 4.x “for as long as possible”
So does metabox. “As Long there’s no reason to break it we won’t”

Yet I’ll never trust those kind of statements unless there’s an actual commitment visible in a tag or repo entry.
Even the tag is not trustworthy to 100% but it’s more than a statement in a chat or else instance

Caldera always had tons of outstanding bugs. It wasn’t reliable.

1 Like

@anon95694377 @timkaye @anon71687268 Caldera is just a suggestion since it is shutting down. I prefer Gravity Forms, but they don’t support 4.9 or ClassicPress.

Idealistically, yes that’s what we should do. Realistically, many of us rely on WP plugins because there are no CP alternatives yet. For example, on one of my sites, I have many redirects managed by a redirects plugin. On WP I used Pretty Links. When I switched to CP I had to find something else that works because Pretty Links stopped working. So I ended up with SEOPress Pro, it has a built-in redirects manager. This will also stop working eventually. So I’ll need to find another redirects plugin unless someone creates or forks it.

We should definitely use available CP plugins whenever possible, but we can’t stop using WP plugins cold turkey. We still need to have functional websites.

I understand that

But let’s just say that if a plugin author says “yay, I’ll make sure it keeps working” we should the very least “make” him or her do this officially Thru a tag or by putting it on our dir as well

As soon I asked toolset to do that they went ahead and bumped requirements to 5.0
Says a lot.

I’m not saying kill your websites (this is also why this poll is here so devs can actually make more targeted decisions as of what to develop)

It’s a matter of facts that if we rely on unofficial or “it works” we will have troubles
We will forget to check and in a few months or a year or else, you are back at the issue and still no plugin will be here to replace it.

That’s all I’m saying. We need to pull in those who say to keep compatible in a more official way, and push as hard we only can towards our own solutions. Which is hard, I know that.

1 Like

It’s designed to work with WP4.5 and above. Yes, it has blocks for those using 5.0+, but the developers are clearly backing both horses at the moment.

I’m not entirely sure what your point is here. Any developer can create a plugin for CP … and then pull the plug at any time. In the end, all anyone can go by are statements of intent.