ClassicCommerce or Classic Commerce? Status as a research plugin?

I asked this question on Slack and we thought it needed some discussion. When referring to our fork of WooCommerce in the docs, or on messages displayed on the site, etc, do we use ClassicCommerce or Classic Commerce.

For example, at the bottom of the admin screens there is a footer… should it read “Thank you for using ClassicCommerce” or “Thank you for using Classic Commerce”?

4 Likes

I like “Classic Commerce” (two words):

• ClassicCommerce is pretty long
  • Splitting the official logotext into two words differentiates the project from Woo a bit

Either way this is something we should decide and standardize, for example this subforum is called ClassicCommerce but the GitHub repository is called classic-commerce.

4 Likes

I agree… I prefer 2 words.

1 Like

One word, like ClassicPress.

2 Likes

Yes, ClassicPress is one word, so IMHO ClassicCommerce should be too.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. I’m not sure, though, that the ClassicPress format should necessarily be seen as an example to follow. Classic Commerce (or ClassicCommerce) is a separate project and will (theoretically) run just as well on WP4.9. I am currently working on the status report page and making sure that the results are generic for either WP or CP. The “Classic” part is just suggesting that it is block-free and jetpack-free.

As another example, @anon71687268 has written a plugin specifically for CP and has called it “PHP Error Log Viewer”, not PHPErrorLogViewer.

Anyway, happy to hear other opinions on this. We will go with the consensus.

1 Like

Is classiccommerce intended to be the “one and only” recommended ecommerce plugin. As putting “Classic” in the name would very much imply that it is part of ClassicPress and therefore make it harder for there ever to be an alternative contender.
An ecommerce plugin and its subplugins are probably the main area to generate income and should be equally open to alternatives.
So my thought is that “Classic” should only be allowed in plugins etc. that are directly controlled by what ever is governing ClassicPress.

2 Likes

Good question Mark! This was discussed early on and my understanding is that it was decided that Classic Commerce would not be officially linked to ClassicPress. It was going to be seen as a stand-alone product, and I’m sure if others wanted to develop alternate e-commerce plugins they would be most welcome.

2 Likes

Who is “our” here, though? This is a 3rd party project; whomever is leading that project should make the decision on the name, the logo, etc, etc. The waters have been greatly muddied with the commerce fork for a couple of reasons:

1. lots of initial feedback was solicited regarding logo and name, but, I feel this gave the false sense that this was a community project, and not merely the solicitation for ideas that it was, and

2. adding the plugin to a ClassicPress-owned repo furthered the idea noted in item #1.

Both of the items noted above have given the community a false sense of ownership (ie, decision-making) in the project. This left a bad taste for me and, indeed, these are the reasons I solicited zero feedback and didn’t request a research repo when forking the TInyMCE Advanced plugin.

2 Likes

Classic Commerce in my mind is linked to a physical store.
CamelCase ClassicCommerce bring me back to e-commerce.
Just my impression…

2 Likes

Hmmm… OK, I see your point. But it is a community project (just maybe not this community), so should we set up a separate place to discuss it? I can see how using the ClassicPress arena to discuss this is muddying the waters.

Do we need our own forum and our own slack account?

3 Likes

In which case it’s up to the developer to call it whatever they choose so why are we even discussing it?

Maybe the definition of core plugin needs to be more clearly defined?

But here’s my tuppence worth:

In many ways, I’d prefer ClassicCommerce, all one word. If we use two words as in Classic Commerce, there would be nothing to prevent someone else creating a ClassicCommerce plugin, which to me looks more “official”?

But, what if there are 3 or more words? As an example, ClassicContactForm or ClassicCommercePaypalGateway? Just using these as examples but you get the general idea. Starts to look a bit messy in my view.

4 Likes

I’m not making a recommendation, necessarily, just adding my .02 on why it shouldn’t be up to the community to decide on the name. IMO, the code should have been setup outside of ClassicPress and with it’s own communication channels.

This is exactly my point.

Yeah, it gets tacky in a real hurry; same thing in the WP space. I see absolutely no need to use the word “Classic” in a plugin or theme name and, indeed, the word doesn’t speak to the “future” at all; it only reminds of the past.

3 Likes

I want to note that I’m not sounding off here just to be the opposition; I’ve actually skipped this thread many times in the last few days knowing my feedback wouldn’t be helpful. I’m not necessarily looking to discuss it, defend it, or win anyone’s opinion over; I’m simply sharing my thoughts as I’d been tagged in the thread. :slight_smile:

Update: I guess I haven’t been skipping over this thread for days as it’s only a day old. I guess it just felt that way :wink:

3 Likes

I’m really glad you contributed John. Tagging you was incidental but I think you’ve made a very good point.

2 Likes

Thanks, Alan … and I don’t mind the tag. :slight_smile: I’ve had this conversation (about the commerce project and how research repos muddy the waters) with a few other very active community members and it does seem that the research repos give a confusing impression. Perhaps it’s germane (perhaps not)…but, after reading the discussion on a new SEO plugin offering, I had the strong sense that it was also headed down this same road.

2 Likes

I’ve missed this. Can you let me know where this was discussed please @anon71687268 ?

1 Like

I think it was in Slack. The following post is pretty much the whole discussion (I think) from the forums. The convo there doesn’t necessarily muddy the waters, however, the title of the thread does make it seem like a core project. Research plugins, from everything I’ve read and understood, are plugins that will be considered for core inclusion, not external plugins that are going to be managed (or monetized) by outside 3rd parties on an ongoing basis.

2 Likes

Ah, so there’s been nothing recent then? I’ve seen the forum posts but I’m not a regular on Slack, so I thought I may have missed something on there.

I guess “recent” is a relative term for Slack as we’re only able to view the latest 10k messages on the free plan. The 10k may seem like a lot, but, it actually goes pretty quick. If you ever hear someone say that something was “10k’d” … that’s what that means. :slight_smile: Also, I’m not positive it was in Slack; I thought maybe it was since I didn’t find it on the forum.

1 Like